Monday, September 14, 2015

WE STAND THE TALLEST WHEN WE FALL TO OUR KNEES

The Dream Team




So, I guess this is my last email home. That went by quick.
Of course this week has been a roller coaster of emotions but the Lord has not ceased to bless me. I just have two miracles to share with you today but I have seen so many over the past 18 months. I'm overcome with gratitude for all those who have helped me and put up with me along the way. Thank you for being apart of this spiritual journey with me.
On Thursday, we were going to teach a less active member at the chapel but it suddenly fell through. We had in our back up plans to do some tracting. So whilst we were walking to the street we had previously picked, a man called after us. We turned and he asked us as he approached, "are you from the church up the road? Are you the Mormons?" Yes, we are. He proceeded to tell us that he is actively catholic but had a disagreement with his local leader and is looking at other churches and is interested in ours. So we got his number and gave him ours and told him when the services are. Sunday rolled around and we called but his number was busy. We then texted him in hopes that he would come. We were just a minute or two late to the meeting because we were walking with some of our other investigators but thankfully the elders were there to greet him when he came. It was very different to what he was used to but he walked away with a Book of Mormon and a gospel principles manual. He said he will come again next week and if he enjoys it, he will "enrol in discussions".
This next one is simple but special to me. Saturday, we had planned to go by a less active family in the evening. So we went and found they lived a bit of a walk away from the bus stop. Not a problem. We always walk a lot in Walkden. Hahaha. We knocked their door and, to our surprise, they were very active. We had not connected the name to the face. Sister G saw our surprise and informed us that they were members of the church to which we responded with an awkward laugh and recognition. She invited us in and we had a lovely gospel discussion about protecting our homes and the importance of family scripture study. It was really sweet though because they told us that during the time they've been married, missionaries had never just "popped by". They expressed their gratitude for our spontaneous visit a couple of times and that helped me to really believe in their sincerity. 
It can be hard to go to new areas, and for me knowing that I would only be in Swinton for 6 weeks, it can be hard to build relationships with the ward. It sometimes seems that the members are too busy for you. Don't get me wrong, Swinton is lovely. The members are great and they serve us constantly. But when you have been tracting all day and no body is listening and you can't find a Fellowshipper for the one scheduled lesson you have for the day, you feel like the whole world is against you. And to have someone say that they are grateful for your visit can mean the world.
                                      
Also, I think I have taken it for granted always having the priesthood and the Holy Ghost in my home. I have seen what a difference there is without it in people's homes. When I go to a members home now, I feel the spirit so strongly and it gives me a spring in my step to walk away from their home. They may say is a blessing for them to have missionaries in their home but it really is a blessing for us as well. So that experience helped me feel the Spirit and know that people  accept and benefit from the gospel. There are good member missionaries out there. I am not on my own knocking doors in England. God is aware of me, loves me, and loves the people in England. He shapes all of us to bless each other. I know it to be true.
I love you all and I look forward to seeing you this week. Thank you for your love, support, letters, emails, and prayers. I will see you soon!

Love, Sister Christensen 

Some funny things I forgot to include from last week:

In England you will see ice cream trucks around all year and you can always hear the music playing from them as they go around the neighbourhoods. There is an elder from Bosnia and he always hears the music but never sees the truck. So whenever the music is playing he looks around then says, "Ugh, ghost van!" Haha I laugh every time I  think of it.

The other week we were walking and sister oli was holding an umbrella, the map, a Book of Mormon, and something else, I can't remember. But when I asked which way to go she directed me by pointing with her lips. I laughed and she said that her hands were full! So she couldn't direct me using her hands. I thought, fair enough. Then she started doing it all the time even when she was holding nothing! "Sister Oli, where should we go?" Pucker up buttercup hahaha she's a cutie. 





No comments:

Post a Comment